i love old science fiction because it’s all like “IT’S THE DISTANT YEAR TWO THOUSAND AND THREE AND MAN IS EXPLORING THE DEEP CORNERS OF THE UNIVERSE” like god bless you old sci-fi you had such high hopes for us
Jupiter’s Great Red Spot
- Jupiter’s Great Red Spot (GRS) is an atmospheric storm that has been raging in Jupiter’s southern Hemisphere for at least 400 years.
- About 100 years ago, the storm covered over 40,000 km of the surface. It is currently about one half of that size and seems to be shrinking.
- At the present rate that it is shrinking it could become circular by 2040. The GRS rotates counter-clockwise(anti-cyclonic) and makes a full rotation every six Earth days.
- It is not known exactly what causes the Great Red Spot’s reddish color. The most popular theory, which is supported by laboratory experiments, holds that the color may be caused by complex organic molecules, red phosphorus, or other sulfur compounds.
- The GRS is about two to three times larger than Earth. Winds at its oval edges can reach up to 425 mph (680 km/h)
- Infrared data has indicated that the Great Red Spot is colder (and thus, higher in altitude) than most of the other clouds on the planet
Words of wisdom from Amy Poehler
tropical rainforests cover only 2 percent of the earth’s surface but contain over half of the planet’s plant and animal species. the current rate of deforestation is about 1 acre every second (or an area the size of a football pitch, as seen in the third photo). this accounts for 20 percent of all greenhouse gas emissions, which is double what of all cars, trucks and planes emit combined. rainforests also produce a fifth of the oxygen we breath (though most actually comes from phytoplankon in the ocean.)
photos by per anders petterson in fiejo, acre state, brazil, showing the average three acres that are cut down there every minute, and stian bergeland in altamira, para state, brazil. lungs of the earth by conservation international.
When you discuss the wage gap, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Only white women make $0.77 to a man’s dollar.
- Black women make about $0.68 to a man’s dollar.
- Latina women make about $0.58 to a man’s dollar.
note to self: “love yourself” does not mean spend $40 on chinese food when you’re broke
who am i kidding yes it does. never listen to me
Check Out The Incredible World Of Snails
Snails don’t get a lot of love, in a world of kittens and puppies, the snail rating on the cuteness scale is about a negative 12. But that’s only because we never get a good look at their lives up close.
Ukraine-based artist and photographer Vyacheslav Mishchenko aims to change that with his photographs showing the world the way snails see it, with giant berries, treacherous raindrops, and hardcore make-out sessions perched atop flower petals.
See more of Vyacheslav Mishchenko work on his facebook page
Details - Howl’s Moving Castle
Earth is the element of substance. The people of the Earth Kingdom are diverse and strong. They are persistent and enduring.
Happy Earth(bending) Day!